Welcome to the new and improved word sprint writing prompt series – #SwiftFicFriday!
If you missed the rules post, click here. Below is a quick rundown of what you need to know:
– The prompt will stay open for the weekend. I’m on vacation, so no time limits tonight!
– Include social media links/handles/anything you want to promote (Twitter, FB, etc) & word count in the comment with your submission.
– Submission must be between 150-300 words.
– All stories are property of the authors.
– Winner will be determined via reader votes once I’m back from vacation.
Ready, set, write!
Prompt: Today’s prompt will be more on the vague side. As such, you’ll get the whole weekend to work on it. I’m on vacation and won’t be back until Monday, but I didn’t want to leave the challenge in limbo until I got back. So as I mentioned in the last prompt, here’s vague prompt #2.
Write a piece that makes use of one of the below definitions for the word fury.
fu·ry/ˈfyo͝orē/nounnoun: fury; plural noun: furies; noun: Fury; plural noun: Furies
- wild or violent anger.“tears of fury and frustration”
- violence or energy displayed in natural phenomena or in someone’s actions.“the fury of a gathering storm”
- GREEK MYTHOLOGYa spirit of punishment, often represented as one of three goddesses who executed the curses pronounced upon criminals, tortured the guilty with stings of conscience, and inflicted famines and pestilences. The Furies were identified at an early date with the Eumenides.
4 thoughts on “#SwiftFicFriday – Week 5 Prompt”
Oooo, this was fun. You can find my story here:
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’d seen her angry. I’ve seen her very angry. This was different. This was fury.
I’d just gotten out of the shower and she was glaring. Then I noticed. She was brandishing a large kitchen-knife. Did I mention the glaring?
The texts. She must have seen the texts. They were all innocent. Shirley could sometimes be a bit flirtatious with me and I could sometimes be a bit flirtatious with Shirley. But it was all in good fun. None of it meant anything.
“You promised you wouldn’t and you went ahead and did it anyway.”
I’m there, naked and facing off against a furious woman with a knife and suddenly “she cut off his head with a carving knife” pops into my head and I smile as the tune bounces around.
“You think this is funny? I’ve warned you.”
“Honey. For the love of god. I wasn’t thinking.”
“You weren’t thinking? I’m sick and I’m tired of you not thinking. I’ve had it with you. I don’t care what happens but I’m cutting it off. It’s what’s doing your thinking anyway.”
She took a step closer.
“Honey. I swear. Never again. Never. Again.”
“You get one more chance. It happens again, you’re never going to pee standing up again. Do. You. Understand?”
She looked at it. All shriveled up in my panic. “Although it looks like I might need a smaller knife next time.”
She turned to leave.
“You might want to start now. Put the damn seat down.”
And she was gone.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Prompt closed! Thanks for playing!