Happy November peeps!
November brings with it all sorts of goodies – my birthday, my fiance’s birthday, turkey day, and (most importantly for writers everywhere) NaNoWriMo!
If you’re new to the writing community, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, a challenge to write 50,000 words (aka a whole novel) in a single month! If you’d like to know more, you can check out their official website here. If you sign up, feel free to add me as a writing buddy – avilak90.
So, writing 50k words in thirty days might seem impossible, but it’s totally doable, I promise. Especially when you have awesome writing prompts to work with. The majority of my writing over the last few years has been a result of weekly flash fiction writing prompts, so I’m writing this post in the hopes that the prompts also help others get through the month!
Here’s a list of the prompt games I play every week:
- #MenageMonday – this one is hosted by Cara Michaels on her website, and consists of three prompts you have to use at the same time. They can be pictures, phrases, songs – lots of stuff!
- #EVERyTuesdayWordplay – this one is hosted by Ever Addams on her website, and consists of a single word as inspiration. This one is the most flexible and always good for a sprint!
- #MidWeekFlash – this one is hosted by Miranda Kate on her website, and is usually a picture prompt. It also has the largest max word count, so you can meet your goals!
- #ThursThreads – this one is hosted by Siobhan Muir on her website. This one’s prompts are phrases that need to be worked into your story. Each phrase comes from the previous week’s winning story, so they’re all threaded together, hence the name!
- #SwiftFicFriday – this one is hosted by yours truly, right here! The prompts can be anything – words, phrases, pictures, music, etc. You get four hours to write and submit.
At the end of the month, whether we make the 50k (or a personal goal) or not, all that matters is that we get into a writing habit that works for us. So good luck!
May your writing be fruitful and fun!
As always, think happy thoughts 🙂