Ever since I started participating in weekly flash fiction contests, I’ve wanted to start up a contest of my own. I’ve grown a love for flash fiction that I didn’t have when I was in school – it fits my lifestyle and writing habits much better than short story writing, and keeps me on my toes/constantly flexing my muscles to keep my novels going.
Now that I’ve fleshed out my contest idea a little more, I’ll put it out there and see if anyone bites! Say hello to the Tuesday FlashFic Train aka #TuesFlashFicTrain!
The gist is this:
- Every week, a random prompt will be posted on Tuesday at 8 AM EST. Participants have until Wednesday at 8 PM EST to write and submit a response.
- The catch – the responses to the prompt must build off the previous week’s winning entry, continuing its story. (Kind of like linked train cars – get it? I’m awful at humor, is what I’m trying to say.)
- Voting will be open to decide a winner from Thursday at 8AM EST to Saturday at 8PM EST.
- A post announcing/promoting/featuring the winner and winning story will go up on Monday at 8AM EST.
- To avoid never-ending stories, the contest will reset every 5 weeks. So we’re aiming to tell a story in 5-episode bursts.
- Word limit: 800.
I thought this might be a fun, challenging exercise, since I’ve enjoyed putting more and more restrictions on my own writing with #WOW555. It’s definitely helped me improve and get more creative, so here’s hoping this does the same for others! The goal is to have fun, fight writer’s block and push our creativity to the limits!
Drop me a line and let me know what you think! I’d love to hear thoughts, suggestions. If you think it’s nuts and too difficult – please tell me!
As always, think happy thoughts!
Image Credit: Image found via Google Image Search on wallpaperup.com